[MPlayer-users] Re: Mencoder encodes Flash .flv but not .swf ?

Richard Ivarson RicIvarson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 17:30:56 CEST 2006

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
[..]
>> Am I missing something or is it not possible currently with Mencoder
>> to make a .swf video?
>> Thanks a lot.
>
> AFAIK, lavf doesn't support swf writing, so MEncoder can't support it
> either.

Thanks for this hint.
Then I'm not spending more time to try to encode a ".swf" but stick with
".flv" file which basically Adobe/Macrobmedia suggest as prefered way to do
Flash videos anyway.
The Flash video file (flv) can be embedded in or controlled by a .swf file:

> However, maybe it's possible to edit/modify the flv file with a 3rd
> party tool to get a working swf file, but that's another story.

Indeed. I've no clue with Flash/Flex and probably there are simpler tools, but
a quick search on "flv and swf" on the Adobe/Macromedia doc site pointed to
this nice code snippet:
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/docs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00000546.html#522650

##
About the VideoDisplay control
[..]

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml">
   <mx:VBox>
      <mx:VideoDisplay source="http://myhost.com/media/MyVideo.flv"
          height="400" width="400"/>
   </mx:VBox>
</mx:Application>
##

Which is a small xml script which can be compiled to a swf file with the free
Flex2 SDK's "mxmlc" compiler. Then the swf just plays the flv video produced
by Mencoder.

-ric