[MPlayer-users] Why can't I watch HD videos?

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 24 12:18:21 CET 2006

On Friday 24 November 2006 06:51, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> One of the best sample sites is this one from Microsoft (WMV HD Showcase)...
> The minimum system requirements, based on that page for 720p's are:
> 2.4 Ghz processor or equivalent
> You have 2.2 and 2.4 is the minimum req for cpu. Your problem probably lies
> there...Also...did you compile from source? or installed an rpm?
> Let see if others on the list, using your kind of hardware, experience the
> same issues you had...

Hm, OK. Other people's experiences... I just had a look at some of the WMV HD
content on my Athlon XP 3200+ (2200 MHz, 32-bit). CPU usage is typically
about 75-80% for 720p content and it plays back just fine; 1080p is, of
course, too much for it to handle. The graphics card is an ATI Radeon X850XT
using the fglrx driver and -vo xv on 1600x1200-32. The video is being decoded
using the ffwmv3 codec.

Stephen