[MPlayer-users] Why can't I watch HD videos?

Pepe rvm3000 at ya.com
Fri Nov 24 01:13:04 CET 2006

I'm having problems to see HD videos.

I downloaded some time ago some sample HD videos in wmv format (720p I think,
I already deleted them). The image with these videos is slow and mplayer say
my system is to slow.

I got yesterday another HD video, this time an avi: DX50, 1280x720, 4400 kbps.
This time mplayer doesn't say my sistem is slow, but the image flickers in
some parts.

My computer is a AMD-64 3200+ (2.2 GHz) but I'm using a linux distro compiled
for i586. My graphic card is a NVidia GeForce FX 5500 using the nv driver.
The monitor is 1280x1024 with 16 bit color.

When I play the avi file the CPU load is about 80-90%. Of course video output
is xv, not x11 or something.

Xine plays it a little better but image still flickers a little bit.

Isn't my computer fast enough to play HD videos? or maybe mplayer (or the
codecs) is not optimized enough yet?

In the other hand I downloaded a couple of sample movs from the apple site,
and this time mplayer plays them perfectly, although the resolution was a
little lower (960x720 one of them and 1280x532 the other).

--
Pepe