[MPlayer-users] soft telecine for DVDs: can't this be applied (in principle) to framerates other than 24 or 24000/1001?

Ivan Middleton ivan.middleton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 02:56:02 CET 2006

I've noticed and made use of the "telecine" option for -mpegopts quite
often, and I notice there's also now a "film2pal" option which does
something similar for PAL format.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks it's useful to implement more general
pulldown patterns.  If I'm not mistaken, the mpeg2 flags would seem to
allow you to increase effective framerate by up to 50% (by repeating a
field from each frame); and thus for instance one could implement a
soft telecine pulldown for NTSC dvds for framerates as low as
20000/1001.

I would potentially find this useful in two situations:
(1) Converting low-framerate video to dvd, e.g. from web videos or slides
(2) Converting PAL (25 fps) to NTSC

Regarding (2), I realize that sometimes (often?) PAL is just 24fps
material which has been sped up to 25fps, and thus the correct way to
handle such material is simply to slow it back down to 24fps and use
the existing soft telecine.  I'm guessing, though, that pretty much
all made-for-TV PAL material is true 25fps, no?

Cheers,
Ivan