[MPlayer-users] mpg123: Can't rewind stream

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Nov 22 01:48:54 CET 2006

Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> On 11/21/06, Philip Walden <pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> On my FC5 system, I am getting a "mpg123: Can't rewind stream"
>> error when playing audio files, specifically mp3's, and they all
>> sound like static.
>
> mpg123 != mplayer

This is true, but the error message he quoted is printed by mp3lib,
which is - or at least can be - used by MPlayer to decode MP3s. If you'd
looked at the actual MPlayer output which he included in his post, you'd
have seen that the error message is in fact there.

>> I yum'ed the MPlayer 1.0rc1 package from greysector.

Third-party packages are generally not supported on these mailing lists;
non-development versions are also often not supported, although rc1 is
recent enough that it's a bit less likely to be rejected out of hand.

>> Any ideas? I have tried oss and alsa

Try one of the other codecs listed by 'mplayer -ac help' as supportimg
MP3. ffmp3 is fairly good, and where it fails I've had success with
libmad. If ffmp3 does the job, then it'd probably be safe to put '-afm
ffmpeg,' in your config file and consider the matter done with.

That doesn't address the question of why it actually happens, of course,
but it should be a way to avoid the problem.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.