[MPlayer-users] sound issues

Dave Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Tue Nov 21 23:11:23 CET 2006

Giacomo Comes <comes at naic.edu> wrote: On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 08:02:15AM -0800, Dave Henderson wrote:
> Gang,
>
>     I am trying to rip the ac3 audio from a dvd.  I have read the secion of the mplayer README regarding this issue.  It says to best way to rip and preserve the ac3 audio is to use the syntax:
>
>     mplayer source_file.VOB -aid 128 -dumpaudio -dumpfile sound.ac3
>
> so I tried it:
>
>     # mount /dvd
>     # cd /dvd/VIDEO_TS
>     /dvd/VIDEO_TS# mplayer VTS_01_0.VOB -aid 128 -dumpaudio -dumpfile /opt/rip/sound.ac3

If you want to rip an audio track from a dvd you should use dvd syntax:

mplayer dvd://i -aid 128 -dumpaudio -dumpfile sound.ac3
eventually with -chapter n-m if you want to limit the output.

For more fine control you can use mencoder.
mencoder dvd://i -oac copy -of rawaudio -ovc copy -o sound.ac3 -aid 128

Giacomo