[MPlayer-users] re:mplayer fails when invoked from at command

Bertie Coopersmith bertie at coopersmith.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 13:53:23 CET 2006

Thanks Corey, This problem is now solved.
As you said, I had '</dev/null' in the wrong place.

I wrote that timeout in K&R C. It's been run on Xenix, Unixware, SCO Unix...
Anyway, I now use -endpos instead. Thanks for that too.

I have a lower level of verbosity under at to avoid massive mail messages
but running interactively I one can watch those percentages overwriting each
other. That's why I was fussed about the terminal type.

I'm not sure that ripreal keeps to the letter of the law but it keeps to the
spirit. I only record speech programmes. the Speex file I end up with is about
100 times smaller than the raw download and about 7 times smaller than the
MP3 downloads that the BBC provides with a minority of it's speech programmes
(They are done to 'Music Quality' but my narrow-band .spx is perfectly
acceptable and I can easily edit with Sweep to an accuracy of a syllable (phoneme?).

Now I'm going to transfer the source to THIS PC and compile the current mplayer.

Bertie