[MPlayer-users] -ss feature request

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Nov 18 12:39:59 CET 2006

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:40:27 +0100
Martin Kopun <vanilkovy.puding at gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be nice to add support for kb and mb sufixes in -ss option
> (just like in -endpos option).

It sure would be.  But -endpos has a very easy way of finding the
(output) size, that -ss would not (without serious complexity).

> Now when I want to split my .avi to for example 10mb parts, i need to
> guess right time for ss option.

First, why not use the right tool for the job?  avisplit works quite
well, and is 100% frame-accurate, unlike -ss/-endpos.

Second, it wouldn't be hard to script what you want to do.  Just use
mplayer -identify to find the length in seconds of the first 10mb
segment, and pass that to -ss for the second segment... Repeat ad
nauseum.