[MPlayer-users] video fine, but audio scratchy and distorted

Johann Amin jaymin at gmx.net
Wed Nov 15 09:20:58 CET 2006

> I run MPlayer on Fedora 6. I want to play DivX files. The video shows
> up just fine, but the sound comes across as a very (and I mean VERY)
> computer distorted sound. You can just barely tell the distortion is
> based on the original sound, but it is like the computer version of
> scratching fingernails on a chalk board.
>
> Of the video files I have, I can play ASF, WMV, and MOV with no
> problems. I have the sound/audio problem with MPEG (MPG) audio, it
> looks like. I had the problem both in an MPG file and the MPEG audio
> in DivX files.
>
> I searched the web for days and only found one other person who
>  seemed to have a problem like mine...here on this list. He seemed to
>  have accidentally solved his problem, and not really knowing how he
>  fixed it could not help much. I tried removing and reinstalling
>  MPlayer. I installed the DivX codecs (thinking maybe the MPlayer I
>  had did not have those codecs automatically).
>
> If it helps, here is what I get when I run "mplayer --version":
>
> MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (Family: 6, Model: 4, Stepping: 2)
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
>
> Any ideas?

I too can confirm that the mplayer default package for FC6 is stuffed.
All mp2 & mp3 audio play with only static sound. Other formats such as
ac3, vorbis & pcm are good. I don't think this is any fault of the
mplayer developers but more the fault of the packager of mplayer for
FC6. I got the latest svn and compiled my own. Works like a charm.