[MPlayer-users] Napster songs don't play

Steve Kleene skmpl at syrano.acb.uc.edu
Sun Nov 12 19:41:50 CET 2006

I am not certain if this is an mplayer problem.  If it is not, I apologize
for inquiring in the wrong place.

I am unable to play songs at napster.com.  Here's what happens:

  log in
  select a song and click to play it
  in a second window
    an ad plays to completion, but with no sound
    the song is shown in the window but never starts to load and never plays
    hangs with "Transferring data from www.napster.com..."
    clicking the play icon doesn't help

The system I'm using is
  Red Hat Enterprise WS3
  mozilla-1.7.12 (GTK1)
  MPlayer-1.0pre7
  mplayerplug-in-3.21 (GTK1)

In general, I am able to play song previews at mp3.com, movie trailers with
sound, etc.  Five months ago, with this same system, songs at Napster played
too.  Now they don't.  If anyone can suggest the source of this problem, and
how I might correct it, I'd be grateful.

I do intend to rebuild with Ubuntu and Firefox within the next couple of
months, but I'm hoping to get to Napster sooner than that.

Thanks.