[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder post process

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Wed Nov 8 23:44:10 CET 2006

On 8 Nov 2006 19:14 T wrote:
> Why exactly post-processing is not really necessary when
> encoding with mencoder, since it is really necessary for
> mplayer? because it is enabled by default, not good enough, or
> much difference while consumes lot of CUP, or...?

Any postprocessing improves (or should improve) image quality, so
when you encoding picture with a higher quality you are likely
going to waste bits, because you can improve quality while
playing.

Perhaps, the most transparent example is upscaled picture: while
upscaling with good scaler (e.g. -sws 10) you surely improve the
picture quality, but encode will be (much) larger and you can find
better use for those abundant bits. The only reason I can see for
using postprocessing while encoding is encoding the movie for
playing on system with slow CPU which is not capable to make
requested postprocessing at runtime.