[MPlayer-users] zlib and fontconfig

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 4 14:14:01 CET 2006

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 12:53:33 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

>Hello,
>On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 09:52:30PM -0500, John Brown wrote:
> > Reimar's patch will fix MPlayer, but if one day you should try to
>compile
> > another application that depends on fontconfig (or any of the many
> > libraries that MPlayer can use but does not have a "correct" pkg-config
> > script), you will probably run into the same problem. Fix the relevant
>.pc
> > file, and you solve the problem permanently.
>
>Patch applied. I personally will never use pkg-config on MinGW

One day I was trying to compile a library whose configure script required
it. I like  pkgconfig. Perhaps there is something wrong with my system as
the original poster suggested, because many times configure (not only
MPlayer's) fails because it did not include necessary libraries.

I have great difficulty in deciphering the typical makefile that includes
makefiles that include other makefiles ad inifinitum, with a lot of
environment variables, if-then-elses, etc. The do-nothing programs used by
configure scripts to check for libraries often ignore LDFLAGS, --extra-libs,
etc. If a library has a .pc file, then it is easy to find out where I should
add -lmissing-library.

>because
>it needs files to be installed, and installing things without proper
>package management results in a broken system in no time :-(

>Though if you have it already installed, fixing the .pc files is a good
>idea...

Well, the original poster said that he did not have to do that, so something
must be wrong with my setup.