[MPlayer-users] About some API

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Nov 1 20:27:05 CET 2006

Alan wrote:
> So... I know that mplayer does not a library, so word API here not
> valid, but I can't called my question other than that :) just sorry :)
>
> so. I want to write a Perl script (plugin) for my X-Chat, so. I want to
> post via IRC information about what audio|video track is currently
> playing. I mean - I start mplayer and xchat plugin send into irc channel
> info about what file I opened, bitrate, length, file size and other
> useful information. So I need, that mplayer store this information
> somewhere (maybe ~/.mplayer/nowplaying or other way).

Take a look at the output mplayer prints when you use the -identify
option. I'm sure you could wrap your mplayer in a script that dumps all
the lines starting with ID_ into a file. MPlayer doesn't always know all
the information you want when it opens the file, but it should work for
most files.

-Corey