[MPlayer-users] mencoder failing to encode at desired bitrate/filesize

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sat May 27 15:15:30 CEST 2006

On Saturday, 27 May 2006 at 12:28, 陆然 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 27 May 2006 10:49, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> > Every now and then I get a video source that simply refuses to encode
> > over a seemingly random bitrate, no matter what I set it at.  I've seen
> > this happen with the xvid codec and ffmpeg's mpeg4 codec (those are the
> > two I use).   Nothing seems to be special about these files.  I was just
> > wondering if anyone else has seen this problem, where mencoder wont
> > encode over some arbituary bitrate, no matter what the value on the
> > command line is.
>
> I've seen similar problems. Once I decided to encoding 12 videos, all captured
> by a dv with almost the same setting, and I use mencoder with xvid and
> libavcodecs, there are two of them cannot be encoded with the bitrate I set,
> (I want a 1500 kbps, but the encoding always resulted at  about 700~800
> kbps). I tried fiddle with different options but no success, ended up
> encoding it on a windows with virtualdub and xvid :(

If mencoder maxes out below your target bitrate it simply means it doesn't
need any more bits to encode your video (i.e. using the lowest quantizer).
There's no point in artificially inflating the bitrate because the quality
won't increase.

Show us the command line you used and we may be able to say more.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/