[MPlayer-users] Gcc 3.4.2 soft-float + uclibc performance question?

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Fri May 26 13:37:50 CEST 2006

YongLi wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am portting the mplayer to ARM CPU using ARM gcc 3.4.2 soft-float + uclibc as the toolchain(built using buildroot).
>
> However, the mplayer performace decrases!
>
> I have performed some float tests, the soft-float uclibc is faster than glibc hard float when computing sin float div/mult functions.
>
> Why the mplayer performance decreases?
>
> Thanks !
To my knowledge there is no hard float on ARM cpus (without the VFP
coprocessor, which I have not encountered yet). Heck, even division has
to be done software-wise. So there could only be a distinction whether
the replacement routines for glibc hard float are less efficient than
the soft float ones. I assume usage of hard float creates an exception
(coprocessor not found) which has then to be re-routed to the soft-float
backup, with at least two more process switches (user-space -> exception
(Illegal Instruction) -> kernel code exception handling ...)

hth,
Alex