[MPlayer-users] [BUG] ratecontrol.c:693: ff_rate_estimate_qscale: Assertion `pict_type == rce->new_pict_type' failed.

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue May 23 19:08:35 CEST 2006

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>> You are right and I haven't done my homework right, man mencoder says

>>> vb_strategy=<0-2> (pass one only)
>>>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> Maybe it should say "never ever use vb_strategy in pass 2"?
>> I was thinking a while ago that it would be better to simply ignore
>> vb_strategy on later passes (and maybe print a warning). I'll propose
>> that on ffmpeg-devel once CVS or SVN is working again.
>
> not needed, just commit the change directly (after confirming that cvs ahm svn
> is actually still affected)

Ok, thanks.

>> Also, if you want to try something else, tell me whether you like this
>> option.
>> vrc_eq=(tex+10^8*mcVar)^0.6
>>
>> You may have to put quotes around it so your shell doesn't try to
>> interpret the parentheses.
>>
>> Use it in both passes. You should see a large improvement in visual
>> quality in high-motion scenes without a significant decrease in quality
>> in low-motion scenes.
>
> btw, something else which seems noone knows about (and i forgot) is
> -lavcopts aic (does enable ac prediction in intra MBs of mpeg4 ...)

Hmm. I'd always ignored that based on the description in the mplayer man
page:

aic
	ac prediction (advanced intra prediction for H.263+)
	NOTE: vqmin should be 8 or larger for H.263+ AIC.

The description indicates that it's only for H.263+, which I guess isn't
accurate. What does AC stand for? It's hard to find definitions for
acronyms like that on google.

I just did a very quick test, and enabling aic raised psnr from 40.10 to
40.13. I can't look at the video itself from here, but I have a longer
test started that might be finished by the time I get home.

-Corey