[MPlayer-users] Semi-OT: NUT

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue May 16 16:25:00 CEST 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 12:24:15AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
>
> >Hello. One of the things brought up in the recent überthread were the
> >failings of OGM, and MKV as alternatives to AVI. One thing that was
> >brought up was NUT. I've tried to do some research on NUT, but the
> >information seems rather scarce, as do proper tools for working with
> >NUT. The MPlayer documentation has only a small paragraph, and the
> >NUT homepage has even less.
> >
> >I'm wondering, where can I find some legitimate NUT tools?
>
> Fully spec-compliant NUT tools have not been released, and in fact (I
> believe) have not been written, because the NUT spec has not yet been
> finalized. One of the MPlayer/etc. developers (Oded Shimon, wasn't it?)
> has been writing libnut, a minimal implementation of the format, as the

Not minimal; rather maximal. It performs the advanced seeking
operations in the guaranteed big-O NUT provides, as a test to make
sure it was possible. :)

> spec approaches its final form; however, I don't know what the current
> state of that code is.
>
> Currently, the only way that I know of to mux to NUT is to use FFmpeg -

No, the current way is libnut/nutmerge from NUT svn. The code in
FFmpeg is incorrect and therefore disabled.

However I must stress again at this point there is no official NUT. We
were in the process of making freeze/release and other stuff (MPlayer
release, security stuff,  Linuxtag, finals) came up and slowed it down
but we should get back on track soon.

> >It doesn't seem that the LAVF mixer in MPlayer is capable of that
> >right now.
>
> I'd be rather surprised if it had been...

lavf muxer in mencoder is broken... (for all formats not just nut)

Rich