[MPlayer-users] Re: [POOL] Moderate some users (was: Re: [-] Re: divx 6)

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Tue May 9 15:32:03 CEST 2006

Am Montag, 8. Mai 2006 17:17 schrieb Rich Felker:
> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 02:28:28PM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> > "Now read this again as many times as you need to remember it."
>
> I cite this as yet another example of you being an antagonistic,
> arrogant asshole.

What you cite, has been a citation, too. Think about it. But come on, you
can do better verbal slander.

> > Regarding image quality it's at least an indication.
>
> I explained why it is not except in very limited cases. If your mind
> is too small to grasp this then shut your mouth and go read some books
> or run som experiments.

For most video codec parameters PSNR gives good indication if a changed
parameter results in higher or lower quality (bitrate, trellis, motion
search,..). For some parameters this is not true as they have more
influence on subjective image quality (quantization matrix, *_mask,...). I
would not call 3 point gmc one of those psychosensory options where PSNR is
totally meaningless. That's why I wrote "Regarding image quality it's at
least an indication."

But look what I have written one week ago:
"But why do topics about the quality of a video codec so often result in
flame wars? Maybe it is because quality is a subjective, fuzzy measurement."
Seems to be very true, even in the "Moderate some users" thread you start
your postings with insults.

I'm not interested anymore in discussing with you about wether you think
that gmc can or cannot help. I'm sure it CAN help sometimes, I have done
tests with different bitrates and even PSNR has increased.
Since I have given actual numbers (contrary to you) and as I'm sure that
most people are convinced that there are videos where xvid's gmc can
increase quality, I don't see the point in spending more time with your
personal flame war.

I have uploaded the videos so you can do your own subjective video quality
tests and try to prove that gmc made the quality worse (despite of the psnr
increase). You can find the videos here (available 10 days from now):
http://service.gmx.net/mc/jFLZHaDQO6qFlpCxP4XDPJw5WOTrwX
password: felker

     Matthias