[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer crashes when playing radio stream

cga2000 cga2000 at optonline.net
Sun May 7 00:08:56 CEST 2006

Thus spake Bryan Alton on Sat, May 06, 2006 at 09:50:10PM +0100 or thereabouts: <balton at eircom.net> [2006-05-06 16:52]:
> The SMIL file has lots of streams before the actual stream
> - one of which seems to be a video. My recent CVS Mplayer
> didn't crash on my SuSe system

.. commercials.. this radio station is a front-end for some online
store that sells music - CD's.. sure glad to get rid of that..!

> Try just playing the broadcast stream and not the rest of the SMIL
> - this is the last URL in the SMIL
>
> http://sc1.liquidviewer.com:9056

cut and pasted the above - mplayer <url> works just great..!!

Thanks a bunch.

> It plays just with mplayer - no need for -playlist.

.. indeed it does :-/

no idea why I had -playlist in my command.. tells you how ignorant I am
of such matters.

Not long ago, I "collected" some 40 radio stations - spent hours doing
that..  and everything worked fine until I rebooted.. Lost everything
because I was using realplay and for some reason all the stuff I had
bookmarked pointed to files in my /tmp.. That's when I decided to dump
realplay and switch to mplayer.. :-)

Is there any doc that I could find online that clarifies audio streaming
a bit? Not so much the technical stuff - unless the author(s) keep it
real short.. but rather some place I could find tips that might help
find those url's that really correspond to streams so I could save them
in some permanent file that I could have mplayer use as a kind of
playlist or bookmarks? It would be nice to be able to switch to
something else once in a while.. :-)

Well, sorry about the details but any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

cga