[MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6

Alexander Noe' alexander.noe at s2001.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat May 6 23:44:58 CEST 2006

Michael Niedermayer schrieb:

>>They are not correct files since they are unplayable without the index
>>and thus hopelessly fragile (and also unplayable before download
>>completes). This is idiotic and broken and regardless of whether it's
>>within the letter of the spec it's absolutely wrong.
>

> does lavf as demuxer play them? and yes i agree these files arent valid
> (assuming i guess correctly what we are talking about ...)

You obviously not knowing the AVI specs doesn't make this claim any
more valid. A 'valid file' is a file that meets the specs. There would
even be valid OGM files if anyone had properly written down OGM specs.

The AVI header has a flag (AVIF_MUSTUSEINDEX) of which, as the name
says already, the purpose is to indicate that the index is necessary,
and the OpenDML index points to the beginning of the data, not to a
chunk header, and the specs do not mention that there would have to be
a chunk header preceding the point an index entry points to.

Those files are valid AVI files, you can turn it around as much as you
want.

Alex

„Der Horizont vieler Menschen ist ein Kreis mit dem Radius
Null – und das nennen sie dann ihren Standpunkt. (Albert
Einstein)“