[MPlayer-users] Re: Adding subtitles to .mpg for DVD

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Fri May 5 06:51:54 CEST 2006

John Brown <johnbrown105 <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> You have to consider:
> 1) The vbitrate
> 2) The abitrate (less significant, but audio takes up space too)
> 3) MPEG file size = size of video + size of audio + overhead (about 4%, but
> it varies)
>
> You can Google for a bitrate calculator that will tell you the vbitrate that
> you should use to achieve a
> particular filesize given the running time of the movie, the abitrate, etc.
>
> Since you are trying to make a DVD, remember to either place your subtitles
> fairly high, or add black borders, to compensate for overscanning.

I tried a bitrate calculator, but it wasn't very accurate. I found that i had to
reduce vbitrate from original 9300 to 5000 to get the same file size for one
episode, but for another episode that resulted in a considerably smaller than
original file size. Anyway, since i can control the file size, and quality is
comparable, it's not a big deal.

My biggest problem now is two-fold:
1. The mencoder-converted files appear to have choppy audio in the last .5-to-1
second of the file. A mild music ends up sounding more like a buzz, for instance.
2. The first issue might be causing the Windows movie editing software i use to
crash when i try to open the clip for editing within a movie.

Thanks for any tips.