[MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Fri May 5 00:21:28 CEST 2006

On May 4, 2006, at 09.39, Rich Felker wrote:

> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 01:44:26AM -0500, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
>>> It's not my job to show that they matter. If doom9 is going to
>>> use the
>>> wrong IDCT it's HIS JOB to show that there's no difference.
>>
>> Funny, I remember the words always being "Innocent Until Proven
>> Guilty," not 'tother way 'round. I think the burden of proof is on
>> you, since you attacked the test.
>
> This is not the way science works. If you want to publish results, you
> must accompany them with evidence that shows them to be correct.
> Otherwise you're just publishing opinions, and when you misleadingly
> pretend they're the result of scientific testing procedure...

This isn't the scientific method. If anything has been proven, it's
that this is all far from scientific. I agree, from what I've seen,
the test done by doom9 is hardly the end-all-be-all test that will be
the final word in MPEG-4 codec bench marking.

>> You've made your point, and
>
> Apparently I hadn't since you misunderstood something as basic as the
> above..

No, your point (from what I've been able to piece together) was that
you didn't like doom9, or anything from that page. You also had major
disagreements with the testing methods, the way the tests were
conducted, and the way everything was published. You feel that many
mistakes were made (possibly purposefully) that lead to an inaccurate
comparison. I'd say your point is pretty well made.

>> How is using .mp4 proving his incompetence?
>
> Because it's among the worst 3 or 4 containers in existence, and no
> one with any technical competence about containers would even consider
> using it. Apparently you don't know anything about it and just
> ignorantly think it's a natural choice, probably either because it's
> called ".mp4", or because Apple and other lame corps use it.

AVI, given its limitations, isn't that great of a container either.
However, it's widely distributed. Hell, it's MPlayer's default output
format. And that still doesn't solve the problem that not all
programs output to AVI. Besides, the container has little to do with
the CODEC in use, and the CODEC is what it's all about. I think the
choice of MP4 wasn't because it was a great container, just a common
one. If people wanted great containers, we'd see more Matroska and
OGM files floating around, instead of AVI.

> As for an alternative, mpeg4-es (no container at all) would be totally
> appropriate.

You're correct in this case. Just out of curiosity, can MPlayer
output to MPEG4-ES? Perhaps we could establish some benchmarks of our
own, based on that.