[POOL] Moderate some users (was: Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6)

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Thu May 4 09:22:26 CEST 2006

On May 3, 2006, at 06.04, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> On Wednesday, 03 May 2006 at 07:57, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 5/3/06, Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [..]

>>> One flaw is that you don't get everyone who replies to him. But at
>>> least you're trying to come up with a solution! ;)
>>>
>>> Sometimes I think this mailing list needs something like a
>>> moderation
>>> system, seen in forums.
>>
>> I propose to put Rich in the "moderated users" list. That may delay
>> his messages by a good 24h in extreme cases (if I don't have
>> access to
>> a computer during that time), which would mean that good or bad posts
>> will be held for moderation.

For a possible solution, can't there be some kind of third option?
What about leaving the mailing list unmoderated. When flamewars crop
up, and complaints are registered, that thread is then watched.
Anything off-topic, no matter what it is, is excluded. It would have
to be purely objective. A message would have to be bounced back,
alerting the sender that the message was denied, and if the sender
can justify the message, it gets passed on. Of course, this would
also impact the timeliness of answers, and I'm not proposing this as
a final answer to the problem, but at least as a starting point for
other people to build off of. Trying to get the ball rolling.

>> I don't mind that since it will make this mailing list a better
>> place.
>> On the other hand, it will give me more work... I think it's worth
>> it.
>>
>> Now people, please vote!
>
> This is a very bad idea. If you don't want to talk to Rich, just
> don't.
> If he offends you, write a private mail. I will agree to no moderation
> on this list.

Well, since this was my idea (kinda), I guess I might as well weigh
in on this. I'm not sure I totally agree with the moderation idea, as
it is, as that does lead to the possibility of censorship. I was
thinking metaphorically, along the lines of what's seen in forums
(though that can't be done here, for obvious reasons). But there has
to be some way to reign in flame wars.

>> Guillaume
>>
>> PS: please re-read my sig: it's never been so true IMHO
>> --
>> I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any
>> subject
>> is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to
>> make him really know what he's talking about.
>>
>> -- H. P. Lovecraft (about the flamewars on FFmpeg and MPlayer
>
> The point is, Rich's opinions usually _are_ backed up with good
> technical
> information.

Yes, but flame wars detract from the usefulness of the mailing list.

> Regards,
> R.

However, quotes like this:

> If you want this I'll just unsubscribe and not help anyone. Your loss.
> I will not participate in moderated lists. It sucks.
>
> Rich

hardly help Rich's case. Nor does insulting people by claiming that
there are "too many lusers on this list." Then again, Alexander Noe'
managed to point out that Rich can be very informative, and
nonvolatile when he wants to be, and is best summed up with his quote:

> That is the kind of reponse you should simply have sent instead of
> the fucking-idiot-peanut-brain one...

I don't like outright censorship, but there has to be some way of
enforcing some minimal standards (such as avoiding excessive use of
profanity). For now, I guess we'll have to live and ignore those
problems. And on a side note, Rich seriously needs to learn to take
it easy, and ignore people who annoy him, instead of flaming them.