[MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Thu May 4 08:44:26 CEST 2006

On May 3, 2006, at 11.00, Rich Felker wrote:

> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 11:30:17AM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:

>>> Apparently you're just as stupid as doom9 himself and don't
>>> understand
>>> the words IDCT mismatch.
>>
>> The IDCT topic has been discussed to death. This effect is way to
>> small to
>> explain the worse quality (in comparison to xvid, divx) of lavc.
>> You have
>> not been able to show that the differences are so large that they
>> matter.
>
> It's not my job to show that they matter. If doom9 is going to use the
> wrong IDCT it's HIS JOB to show that there's no difference.

Funny, I remember the words always being "Innocent Until Proven
Guilty," not 'tother way 'round. I think the burden of proof is on
you, since you attacked the test.

It seems that people are either pretty stubborn, or they don't care
either way. And on both cases, no matter how much you argue about the
source, people's opinions aren't going to change (See: Conservatives
vs. NPR, Liberals vs. Fox News). You've made your point, and
continuing to argue about it is only going to make you look worse
(including your use of "colorful metaphors")

[snip]

> The container is absolutely irrelevant to testing codecs. If he really
> cared he could have remuxed into .mp4 with another program, but the
> very fact that he wanted to use .mp4 proves his technical
> incompetence.

How is using .mp4 proving his incompetence? If I was going to test
MPEG-4 output, I'd check out .mp4. Most programs output to very
similar MP4 containers. Hell, if I decided to compare to Apple's
MPEG-4 output, I'd be out of luck if I wanted to use AVI. I'm sure
there was some reason for the use of .mp4.