[POOL] Moderate some users (was: Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6)

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed May 3 18:13:11 CEST 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 01:56:43PM +0200, Alexander Noe' wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski schrieb:
>
> >The point is, Rich's opinions usually _are_ backed up with good technical
> >information.
>
> And each time the technical information is against him or he doesn't

Would you like to point out a case? If you're talking about the stupid
avi hack thing, drop it already!! Nobody cares and OTHER developers
decided a while back that it was stupid and not a priority to support.
I'm just repeating what was discussed then in a much more abrasive
way.

> have anything to say. If he wants to present tests showing that GMC
> isn't worth anything, he should present them, if he doesn't have any,

If you care I'll go into more depth about it. BTW I was referring to
full GMC, not the one-point thing that's easy to implement.

> That situation is dangerous because such nonsense information has a
> tendency to stick in people's heads, as has been proven at several

I have not provided nonsense information here.

> audio streams, or VBR audio in AVI was not completely spec compliant,

Yes this was a horrible lie perpetuated by VirtualDub by people too
stupid to fix vdub's buggy (lack of) pts handling...

> If he can finally decide to restrain himself, and to restrict to
> technically information he actually has, there is no need to moderate
> him, but with GMC, he has shown that he has severe issues restriction
> to technical information he actually has.

Nonsense. I don't want to write a paper on GMC and why it sucks. I'm
just repeating things said by people who are MUCH MORE COMPETENT than
me in the art of codecs. IIRC you can find this stuff on one of the
sites hosted on multimedia.cx or in the ffmpeg-devel archives, with
some test results and technical explanations of the reasons why GMC is
not useful.

Moreover, my (possibly not entirely correct) understanding of GMC is
that it's actually making use of the nasty parts of MPEG-4 outside of
basic video (sprites, etc. stuff that NO implementation supports) in
one very special case to implement "GMC" on top of these methods. This
makes it fall in the category of "extremely ugly hack" in my book.

Rich