[MPlayer-users] Encoding too slow on AMD Athlon 64 3000+ comparing with Pentium Celeron M 1, 4

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Mar 30 19:45:08 CEST 2006

Martin Kamín wrote:
>>> What version/type do I have to use?
>>> I use OpenSuse 10.0, so my rpm's are:
>>> yasm-0.4.0-7
>>> bin86-0.16.0-189
>>> binutils-2.16.91.0.2-8.4
>>>
>>> Building xvid from source looks pretty well....
>>>
>>> zeus:/tmp/xvidcore-1.1.0/build/generic # ./configure
>>> checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>>> checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>>> checking for whether to use assembly code... yes
>>> checking for architecture type... ia32
>> What? IA32? You probably run configure on wrong machine?
>
> Are you joking?
> BUT, same machine, help me, I'm blind to find the solution :(
> My system *IS* 32bit OpenSuse, why to compile it to 64bits code?
> and ./configure doesn't help me to change it by command line params....

If you're not running a 64-bit kernel, you won't be able to use 32-bit
programs anyway. Running 32-bit code on an amd64 system shouldn't give
you that much of a slowdown.

I don't have a current 32-bit mplayer build, so here are results from
both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of MEncoder dev-CVS-060309-12:34-4.0.3

32-bit lavc

real    0m24.973s
user    0m23.806s
sys     0m0.319s

64-bit lavc

real    0m23.339s
user    0m22.645s
sys     0m0.253s

32-bit xvid

real    1m11.098s
user    1m10.074s
sys     0m0.526s

64-bit xvid

real    1m5.751s
user    1m3.578s
sys     0m0.526s

So, anyway, unless someone here spots what's going on, I guess your
options are:
- ask the xvid people
- use lavc or x264 instead
- upgrade to a 64-bit system, try a different distro, etc.

Beyond that, I probably can't help you much further.

-Corey