[MPlayer-users] H.264 and advice on new hardware.

Mathieu Monnier manao at melix.net
Wed Mar 22 09:18:26 CET 2006

> > And there are still a lot of optimizations needed in order to do so

It didn't come out as I wanted. I didn't want to say "there are lots of
parts that can be mmxed", but "there are lots of parts that must be
speeded up". And since I don't believe that speeding up,  let's say,
cabac decoding and pixel processing will bring the missing speed ( they
are already fast ), and since CoreAvc is so much faster, I can only
deduce that the core of the issue lies in the architecture of the decoder.

>  1. I have an overclocked Newcastle Athlon64 3400+ running at 2556
>  MHz, and it can almost, just-barely-not-quite decode those two videos
>  in realtime. There are scattered scenes where the video drops behind
>  by up to 0.4 seconds, but it catches back up after a moment; overall,
>  it never gets left behind.

But it's not acceptable. Video must be played realtime.

 > Every once in a while Loren Merritt makes a slight performance
improvement to lavc's h.264 decoder. Over time, these add up.

Cf previously, these speed ups won't ever add up to 50%

 > Using '-lavdopts skiploopfilter=nonref' will speed up decoding
significantly without any readily-visible differences.

Not on a P-only video.

Regards

Mathieu