[MPlayer-users] MPlayer hangs playing 'Sony Pictures' DVDs.

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Sun Mar 19 01:01:10 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 20:25 +0100, Alexander Roalter wrote:
> I know it is quite a minefield, but one thing still applies: even if the
> sectors would not be damaged (as would be the case with a copied DVD
> from such a DVD, as the current copying tools do (they overread simply
> the defective sectors), you have a VOB file with jumps in it which make
> sense if you implement the standard correctly, otherwise you get one
> sector of data followed by e.g. 10 sectors of zero. followed by video
> data again. It is merely an improvement upon the DVD standard (not the
> copy protection, I meant the better compliance of such a playback
> program), not a patch to mplayer to get some DRM-crap running.

Not to sound annoying, but here's something new. I tried out ogle today
and it plays the specific DVDs fine (as the first poster in this thread
already mentioned - kaffeine also plays these DVDs fine). Now I seem to
recall there's more congruencies with ogle than with kaffeine, so it
should be possible to get the correct behaviour when reading DVDs also
into mplayer.

Still I'm not sure if there's any active development on the DVD front
with mplayer, most of the questions on this mailing list are about
failed compilations, problems with some streaming codecs and basic
questions about mencoder...

Maybe I'll have a look into it in two or three weeks, when I finally get
my degree and also my new computer (it's not fun compiling mplayer and
playing DVDs on a 400MHz machine...).

cheers,
Alex