[MPlayer-users] Mplayer howto

Florian Mickler deathmk at gmx.net
Tue Mar 14 23:53:30 CET 2006

Hi,
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:23:33 +0000
Forooz Saedi <forooz.saedi at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd be grateful for any help on how to fetch and install Mplayer on my
> laptop running under SuSE 10.  2.6.13-15.8-default #1 Tue Feb 7
> 11:07:24 UTC 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux. I am a begginer
> with linux.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Forooz.

Big tip for linux-beginners: look at the homepage of the
software-project you are going to use .. i.e under downloads you would
find at mplayerhq.hu:
 "The recommended way to install MPlayer is to
compile from source. Look at the unofficial packages section of our
projects page if you do not wish to compile from source and/or are
looking for packages that may be more tightly integrated with your
platform."

So i would try to download from the mentioned "unofficial
packages" page the required packages and install them. (Suse shurely has
somewhere a description on how to install packages on their
distribution.)

greets,
Florian

p.s. if this is easy, you could compile from
current-cvs. which should also be straightforward and has the advantage
of being up to date.