[MPlayer-users] Bug report for mencoder on DVB files...

George Styles ripnetuk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 11:13:30 CET 2006

Hi,

Thanks once again for looking in to this, and in particular testing my
problem file on your machines.

Due to it working on all your machines, i turned my attention to my box - i
swapped out everything that I could (different ram, different hard disk
recovered from a known good backup) and guess what? the encoding now goes
fine :) it has cleared the backlog (encoding is scripted) without a hiccup.

I suspect either the hard disk or the install of Linux on it. Subsequent
running of smartctl against the drive containing the root partition reveals
some smart errors (but only on drive startup, but its an indication that all
is not well).

I will be running further SMART tests on the drive to try to get to the
bottom of it. Also, the ram from the 'broken' box is now in my win32 box,
and seems to be working fine, but I will memtest86 it at some point soon...

Sorry to have wasted your time, butit honestly did look like a bug :) but at
least we all now know that that assertion can fail due to dodgy hardware for
future reference...