[MPlayer-users] Bug report for mencoder on DVB files...

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 21:39:07 CET 2006

Hi,

On 3/3/06, George Styles <ripnetuk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 3/3/06, George Styles <ripnetuk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > btw I can tell the mpeg is quite broken, as vlc player stutters towards
> > the
> > > start, but it recovers, so it is parsable. If it were just the one
> > video, I
> > > would blame that, but it seems that quite a lot of recent DVB broadcasts
> > > have the problem :(
> >
> > I'd suggest getting a better antenna, or make sure its orientation is
> > correct.
> > As I said: if it's corrupt, there's nothing mplayer can do for you.
> >
> > Guillaume
> >

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Sorry I top-posted (trying not to do that!). Sorry
> also for posting off-list, I just did a reply without checking the to:
> header...
>
> I realise that mplayer cannot magically reconstruct the missing data, but
> shouldnt it detect a corrupt mpeg packet, and just move onto the next block?

I think it's a matter of implementation. It could do that, but instead
it just prints whatever it can come up with. I like that behaviour as
it means that with a very damaged file, you'll still see smth moving,
when if it was waiting for perfect data, it may eventually display
nada.

> Very strange that it doesnt happen there, are you using the same command
> line as me? here is the complete session of processing that file:

Yes, I've got no error on my x86-64 system. I've made a rapid test on
an outdated version 32bits version on my 32 bit chroot, but it was
quite inconclusive: mencoder was deadlocking, but was deadlocking on
pretty much any file anyhow.

Guillaume
--
Reinventing the wheel certainly is annoying, but as long as all other
wheels are square...

Reimar Döffinger