[MPlayer-users] Choppy DVD playback

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Fri Jun 23 15:23:52 CEST 2006

Rashkae wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:32:56PM -0500, Val wrote:
>
>> This suggests to me that this is an mplayer specific problem with this
>> DVD. I would like to know exactly what is so different about this DVD
>> and why mplayer is having trouble with it. However, I don't know what
>> kind of diagnostics to run and I was wondering if someone on this list
>> can suggest somethings.
>>
> I've seen similar problems with DVD's protected by Sony's news copy protection system (whose name I forget), basically, they insert some bad sectors on the  DVD, and instruct the dvd player to skip past those areas.  Mplayer, however, does not support those instructions and runs right into the bad sectors.
>
> Ironically, the best way to view these dvd's on all players is to make a copy sans bad sectors.  go figure.

The dvdnav-Patch is able to play this sort of discs, at least at my
batch of problem discs. It seems to use some altogether different read
mechanism to steer around the sectors. So ATM I can finally play all my
DVDs again (subtitle problem(s) solved, Copy Protection playback solved)

Unfortunately, when I play a title with DVDNAV it shortly plays some
other title in the playback lineup (usually a bit from the company
logo), and dumping the track does also not work on all titles, since it
dumps over and over the dvd menu.

TO make things short: I'd need a playback of dvd://x with the playback
capabilities of dvdnav://x, but please no menus. :)

cheers,
Alex