[MPlayer-users] Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000

Maciej Bliziński m.blizinski at wit.edu.pl
Thu Jun 22 09:20:35 CEST 2006

Hello,

I am new to the list, hello everybody.

I'm trying to capture video with MPlayer from the Logitech QuickCam Pro
5000 Webcam. Command lsusb shows this information about the device:

Bus 004 Device 006: ID 046d:08c5 Logitech, Inc.

I'm using "uvcvideo" kernel module, which is a new driver with v4l2
support. The driver's homepage can be found here:
http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/
I'm using code from Subversion, rev. 40.

Currently, when trying to capture video from the webcam, I get this
output:

maciej at matilda ~ $ mplayer tv:// -tv device=/dev/video0:driver=v4l2 -vo x11
MPlayer 1.0pre8-3.3.6 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU:               Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 7)
MMX2 supported but disabled
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX SSE SSE2

93 audio & 211 video codecs

Playing tv://.
Selected driver: v4l2
 name: Video 4 Linux 2 input
 author: Martin Olschewski <olschewski at zpr.uni-koeln.de>
 comment: first try, more to come ;-)
v4l2: ioctl get standard failed: Invalid argument
Selected device: USB Video Class device
 Capabilites:  video capture  streaming
 supported norms:
 inputs: 0 = Camera;
 Current input: 0
 Current format: YUYV
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl enum norm failed: Invalid argument
Error: Cannot set norm!
Selected input hasn't got a tuner!
v4l2: ioctl set mute failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl query control failed: Invalid argument
FPS not specified in the header or invalid, use the -fps option.
No stream found.

v4l2: ioctl set mute failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: 0 frames successfully processed, 0 frames dropped.

Exiting... (End of file)
Where Martin Rubli says:

	MPlayer: That doesn't work because it uses the VIDIOC_G_STD
	ioctl, which doesn't make sense for webcams. You should probably
	file a bug against the MPlayer v4l2 module; it sounds like an
	easy fix.

Is it really an easy fix?

Regards,
Maciej Bliziński