[MPlayer-users] Severe playback problem with H.264

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 09:39:18 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 6/21/06, Frédéric Dupuis <fdupuis at teksavvy.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having severe image distortion problems when playing H.264 files
> using 1.0pre8. For example, here's one frame decoded using pre8 and the
> same frame decoded (properly) using avidemux:
>
> http://www.comm.utoronto.ca/~dupuis/mplayer.jpg
> http://www.comm.utoronto.ca/~dupuis/avidemux.jpg
>
> I get this sort of result consistently with H.264 files from different
> sources (the shown in the screenshot was encoding with mencoder using
> x264, but I get the same sort of distortion with Apple's movie
> trailers). MPlayer seems to be working normally while playing those
> files; no error messages or warnings of any sort.
>
> I am using the current AMD64 version of mplayer-1.0pre8 on debian from
> the marillat repository.

These packages aren't supported (for various reasons, one being that
it uses shared libs version of ffmpeg, which has caused numerous
problems in the past). Please build your own version of MPlayer from
sources, or upload a short sample of your file so we can try to
reproduce the problem.

As far as I'm concerned, I have an AMD64 machine, and I build my
packages from source, and everything is fine.

Guillaume
--
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."
 -- Winston Churchill