[MPlayer-users] ffmpeg and the DLL codecs for WMV (etc)

Vacuum Joe vacuumjoe at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 18 03:00:22 CEST 2006

> Ah thank you!  That will be quite helpful.  But I
> still need to pursue getting WMV9 (aka WMV3) to run
> within ffmpeg, for two reasons:

Ok, I carefully followed the instructions in:

http://multimedia.cx/eggs/?p=129

and it worked.  After that I could use ffmpeg to
convert a WMV9 (aka WMV3, aka VC-1) stream into a
plain old mpeg stream using ffmpeg.

So it works.

Unfortunately my small test program which uses ffmpeg
as a library did not work.  But now I know that I can
get the file decoded, all with open-source components,
so I just need to fix whatever small bug is causing
this to crash, and then I should be able to recompile
the whole thing on my x86_64 machine, link it in with
JNI, etc.

Hopefully a future release of FFMPEG will soon include
optimized VC-1 support.  It looks like most video
going around these days is either MPEG or WMV, so it's
great that there is published code for a WMV3 decoder.