[MPlayer-users] How to seek a file that is being generated

Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto please.no.spam.here at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 18:42:46 CEST 2006

Thank you for the tip, I tried it.But it is problematic.
I can seek forward, but after I seek the image gets very jerky for some
seconds.

And I can't seek backward. Seeking backwards goes forward  (weird).

On the encoding side, I get several error messages like

ERROR: SCR: 3929.163, VPTS: 94.289, DELTA=-3834.875 secs

On the playing side, when I seek (forward or backward) I get messages like
this

warning: first frame is no keyframe??% ??,?% 0 0

I have mplayer-20060415 (the latest version in gentoo's portage).

the command line is

mencoder tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:normid=4:alsa:adevice=hw.1,1:forceaudio:audiorate=32000:width=640:height=480
-vf crop=626:476:0:0,pp=lb,hqdn3d,decimate -srate 32000 -oac mp3lame
-lameopts q=8 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vqscale=8 -o out.mpg -of mpeg

Note: I tried -of lavf but mplayer fails saying "can't open muxer".

Now, If mpeg compresses well or not, doesn't seem to be relevant, because I
can later remux it to Matroska or whatever. And it will be just as
compressed as if I had recorded it as Matroska in the first place, right?

thanks

[]'s

On 6/12/06, Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 6/12/06, Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 6/12/06, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > I have a tv capture card and I want to do the following:
> > >
> > > 1) start recording
> > > 2) during the commercials, seek forward, and if I miss something, seek
> > > backward.
> > >
> > > But I can't do that, because mencoder only puts the index in the file
> when
> > > it finishes recording, and even if I use the -idx (or -forceidx)
> option,
> > > mplayer only builds the index of the part of the video that is already
> > > recorded when mplayer starts.
> > >
> > > So, how can I do this? I have already read a lot of documentation.

If you wanna be able to seek in

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free.