[MPlayer-users] How to seek a file that is being generated

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 13:31:00 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 6/12/06, Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 6/12/06, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a tv capture card and I want to do the following:
> >
> > 1) start recording
> > 2) during the commercials, seek forward, and if I miss something, seek
> > backward.
> >
> > But I can't do that, because mencoder only puts the index in the file when
> > it finishes recording, and even if I use the -idx (or -forceidx) option,
> > mplayer only builds the index of the part of the video that is already
> > recorded when mplayer starts.
> >
> > So, how can I do this? I have already read a lot of documentation.
>
> If you're generating an AVI file, you need to regenerate the index
> each time you wanna play a file that's being written:
>
> mplayer -idx in.avi

Woops, sorry, I hit "send" too fast... If you wanna be able to seek in
a file without bothering about the index, I'd say try to encode in
MPEG2 with MPG container. Yes, it sucks at compressing well, but at
least, it doesn't require an index.

Other than that, maybe NUT container could be what you are after, but
right now, NUT only exists in the form of a standalone app, and hasn't
been integrated in MEncoder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NUT_Container

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."
 -- Winston Churchill