[MPlayer-users] Encoding DVB-T to MPEG

Michael Holland mplayer at golden.wattle.id.au
Sat Jun 10 06:02:44 CEST 2006

Kevin Davies wrote:

> In this case I want to encode V4l transport stream directly to mpeg if
> possible.

Kevin, DVB already IS mpeg, so you don't need to re-encode anything.
Save raw, SD uses about 2.8GB/hr.

> I effectively want to real-time encode broadcast quality mpeg,

That is what you already have.
Maybe use "-oac copy -ovc copy" ??

See "dvbstream" for another way to record from DVB card to disk. That
will let you save as a MPEG transport or program stream.

> c) Would mpeg or avi be a better choice?

AVI is just a container, not a codec. e.g. you can save the mpeg audio
and video streams in an AVI file.

An alternative is to use mencoder to recode the MPEG-2 input (from DVB)
to mpeg-4 video, in order to lower the bit-rate. That would usually
be save in an AVI file, and can be played on a "DivX" player.

That doesn't need to be real-time.
HTH. I can e-mail you the scripts I use for recording DVB-T in Perth.
I used to use a P-II celeron for recording, and that was overkill :-)