[MPlayer-users] BBC H264 transmissions

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Jun 5 22:24:34 CEST 2006

Hi,
On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 10:07:56PM +0200, Koef wrote:
> "h264: MBAFF interlaced decoding" svn commit by lorenm a week ago. Thank
> you! I now have the BBC H264 clip playing, although it rather is a slideshow
> on my a64 3000+. The windows folk keep insisting that a dualcore CPU is
> required for this kind of video material. Would mplayer/ffmpeg benefit from
> dual core?

No, there is only very basic support for multithreaded decoding, only
for some codecs and only working in some fringe cases.
There are some options like -lavdopts skiploopfilter that can speed
H.264 up, but probably not enough to make it work (though, is it HDTV?
if not I would thing that your CPU should be fast enough. Maybe it is
the video output that is too slow? Or audio decoding?)

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger