[MPlayer-users] NVidia, getting cvidix to work, TV-Out possible?

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Sun Jul 30 15:26:14 CEST 2006

Sebastian Kemper wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> usually I use my monitor for small vids on my computer, but for longer
> movies I'd like to use the tv-out of my NVidia GF4. I think normally
> it's only possible to use it through NVidia's binary drivers. But I
> won't "taint" my kernel so there's got to be either another way or I
> can't use the tv-out.
>
> When I boot my Gentoo box without framebuffer support I can see the
> console displayed on my tv. Now I searched the docs of mplayer and I
> found the cvidix driver. It says nothing about tv-out, hence my
> question: Will the movie be displayed on my tv, too, if I get cvidix
> to work?
Not sure about cvidix, but with framebuffer I also get the picture on
the TV, so I could play movies directly (and without X, but also with
X), but unfortunately the output is NTSC (the color component is not
where the TV expects it...) and my old TV cannot handle NTSC color, so
it's always B/W. At the moment I have to use the nvidia binary only
driver, though it is a pain in the ass. Switching back to console won't
work, and the refresh rates had to be fixed by myself in the config,
since that crappy driver did only give me 60Hz (@1280x960) (hello! not
everyone uses a TFT!)

I hope sometimes it will be possible to make use of the TV-Out again
with OS-Drivers, 3D acceleration is of no use to me.

sorry, that didn't help you at all, but I had to post it somewhere,
since this situation is really a stupid one and it really gets me angry.

cheers,
Alex