[MPlayer-users] mplayer : DVD sound / video problem

Rohit Sharma hitbhav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 00:20:50 CEST 2006

Hi there,

I was using acidrip, but then found out that the DVD I was trying to
backup as a file, had no sound in the file. It was a long [3hr] Hindi
movie so I chose mp3lame for audio and xvid for video compression. The
versions of all software on my machine are as follows. I use gentoo Linux.

mplayer -> 1.0_pre8-r1
lame -> 3.97_beta2
xvid -> 1.1.0-r1
acidrip ->  0.14-r1

Two things are going wrong with it.

One - the last three DVDs I play, I can choose the soundtrack to use in
acidrip. The script generated by acidrip, then chooses the language
track and creates a file using "mplayer dvd://x -dumpstream -dumpfile
filename ...." but when I try to play the resultant filename, it says
"no audio" as in no audio stream found! The following is the output from
start of mplayer...

    DVD successfully opened.
    Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
    MPEG-PS file format detected.

    Too many video packets in the buffer: (4096 in 8262640 bytes).
    Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
    For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
    MPEG: No audio stream found -> no sound.
    VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x480  (aspect 3)  29.970 fps  6000.0 kbps (750.0
    kbyte/s)
    Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
    VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Mpeg PES)
    Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
    Opening video filter: [scale]
    The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
    Try adding the scale filter, e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
    VDecoder init failed :(
    Opening video decoder: [libmpeg2] MPEG 1/2 Video decoder
    libmpeg2-v0.4.0b
    Selected video codec: [mpeg12] vfm: libmpeg2 (MPEG-1 or 2 (libmpeg2))
    Audio: no sound
    Starting playback...
    VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
    VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
    Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
    VO: [x11] 720x480 => 854x480 Planar YV12
    SwScaler: using unscaled Planar YV12 -> BGRA special converter
    V:   1.3  34/ 34 13% 24%  0.0% 0 0 1%
    Exiting... (Quit)

So this is somewhat puzzling.  Even when I do mplayer with identify, I
still don't see an audio track listed. This is as follows.

    rohit at reason ~ $ mplayer -identify -frames 0 dvd://2
    MPlayer 1.0pre8-3.4.4 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
    CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2400+ (Family: 6, Model: 8, Stepping: 1)
    Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE

    Warning unknown option ffourcc at line 6
    93 audio & 211 video codecs

    Playing dvd://2.
    Reading disc structure, please wait...
    ID_DVD_TITLES=4
    ID_DVD_TITLE_1_CHAPTERS=3
    ID_DVD_TITLE_1_ANGLES=1
    ID_DVD_TITLE_2_CHAPTERS=30
    ID_DVD_TITLE_2_ANGLES=1
    ID_DVD_TITLE_3_CHAPTERS=6
    ID_DVD_TITLE_3_ANGLES=1
    ID_DVD_TITLE_4_CHAPTERS=6
    ID_DVD_TITLE_4_ANGLES=1
    There are 4 titles on this DVD.
    There are 30 chapters in this DVD title.
    There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
    DVD successfully opened.
    ID_AUDIO_ID=128
    ID_AID_128_LANG=hi
    ID_SUBTITLE_ID=1
    ID_SID_0_LANG=en
    ID_SUBTITLE_ID=3
    ID_SID_1_LANG=fr
    ID_SUBTITLE_ID=5
    ID_SID_2_LANG=es
    ID_SUBTITLE_ID=7
    ID_SID_3_LANG=nl
    ID_SUBTITLE_ID=9
    ID_SID_4_LANG=ar
    ID_SUBTITLE_ID=11
    ID_SID_5_LANG=ta
    ID_SUBTITLE_ID=13
    ID_SID_6_LANG=te
    ID_SUBTITLE_ID=15
    ID_SID_7_LANG=kn
    ID_SUBTITLE_ID=17
    ID_SID_8_LANG=ml
    ID_SUBTITLE_ID=19
    ID_SID_9_LANG=gu
    ID_SUBTITLE_ID=21
    ID_SID_10_LANG=bn
    Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
    ID_VIDEO_ID=0
    ID_AUDIO_ID=128
    MPEG-PS file format detected.
    Too many video packets in the buffer: (4096 in 8262640 bytes).
    Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
    For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
    MPEG: No audio stream found -> no sound.
    VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x480  (aspect 3)  29.970 fps  6000.0 kbps (750.0
    kbyte/s)
    ID_FILENAME=dvd://2
    ID_DEMUXER=mpegps
    ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=0x10000002
    ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=6000000
    ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=720
    ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=480
    ID_VIDEO_FPS=29.970
    ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
    ID_LENGTH=9806.37
    Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
    VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Mpeg PES)
    Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
    Opening video filter: [scale]
    The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
    Try adding the scale filter, e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
    VDecoder init failed :(
    Opening video decoder: [libmpeg2] MPEG 1/2 Video decoder
    libmpeg2-v0.4.0b
    Selected video codec: [mpeg12] vfm: libmpeg2 (MPEG-1 or 2 (libmpeg2))
    ID_VIDEO_CODEC=mpeg12
    Audio: no sound
    Starting playback...
    Exiting... (End of file)

Two - I am using xvid as the preferred encoder for video. Lately, after
my last emerge, it has stopped working. mplayer seems to segfault when
using xvid. Is this a known issue - and any idea if a bugfix is
proposed? Personally I feel that xvid/mencoder combination has given me
best and fastest results, so I'd like to stick to it.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Rohit