[MPlayer-users] Getting "Your system is too SLOW to play this!"message - some help please!

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Thu Jul 27 16:31:27 CEST 2006

mplayer at haxware.co.uk wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> Basically, the project that I am working on at the moment contains one
> device with video inputs that streams data using RTSP and then we have
> another device running Linux and a custom application which itself will
> use mplayer for displaying this video stream.
>
> Unfortunately, I am having problems just getting mplayer to play the
> stream stably, in a stand-alone manner.  After a somewhat random period of
> time (sometimes just 4 or 5 minutes - other times, over an hour) I get the
>
> "Your system is too SLOW to play this!"

every non-file stream will show this behaviour, due to audio and video
timestamps
diverging too much

> message and the video decoding slows to a crawl and the resulting picture
> ends up getting very blocky - especially when motion occurs.  This problem
> is occuring on my workstation and on the target platform and with pre07,
> pre08 and CVS builds of mplayer.  My workstation is a dual 3.6GHz P4 XEON
> with 2GB of RAM and it shows mplayer as only using about 7 to 8 % of CPU -
> so, it's clear that there are plenty of resources available.

at the moment mplayer is unfit for this kind of task, but if I'm well
informed
a guy is already working on a proper fix

> Video is bein forced to x11 and audio to alsa.
>
> I've tried playing with various other flags, including:
> -vfm ffmpeg
> -vf pp
> -autosync
> -nosound
>
> None of these solve the problem - at best, they simply delay it slightly.
>
> I know that the video stream is "good" as it's been viewed using different
> applications both on Linux and under Windows and I am currently running
> VLC on my workstation to see if that suffers the same problem (to try and
> eliminate a problem with Live555).  So far, VLC is fine - although this
> doesn't mean that it won't suffer the problem

vlc will likely play fine sine die

>  if it turns out that it is
> in fact a Live555 isssue as the randomness of time it takes to occur is so
> large.

it's not an issue with live555

> Other than that, I'm fairly stumped as to where to start looking next.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions please?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam Hackett

either fix mplayer :) to make it follow the classical scr/dts/pts
decoding model
(defined in mpeg, but valid in a more general context) where available
(that means when there is a central clock) or wait for someone to fix it.

 Sponsor:
 Prestiti e Finanziamenti con un semplice click, scopri subito se sei finanziabile cliccando qui
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2910&d=27-7