[MPlayer-users] Best mac / windows format?

Vadim Garber vadim at enenet.com
Wed Jul 26 14:52:38 CEST 2006

I'm trying to upload a standard video format on the web for mac and
windows users, so they can download and view without much hassle. The
mac users would have quicktime installed, and the windows users would
have windows media player installed. No divx, no xvid. So I'm guessing
I'll need some very standard (mpeg2?) format. My issue is that I've
tried mpeg2video / mp2 for video / audio, and could only get it to play
on one mac (via quicktime), but there was no sound. In windows WMP could
not locate codecs.

My current line:
mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video -oac lavc -lavcopts
acodec=mp2 in.mpg -o out.mpg is what I've tried.

I know you can just download codecs and get any video working. But it's
VERY important to understand that I'm trying to find something that
would work without the hassle of installing divx or any 3rd party thing.
I know quicktime supports a lot of formats, as does WMP, so I'm sure
there is something I could try. Also if have a suggestion of another
format to use, try to show an example of how to use it - I'm still new
to mencoder, so I don't know all the little extra things that some
format might need.

Regards,
Vadim