[MPlayer-users] How do you play multiple audio files as a continuous stream?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Jul 26 00:34:31 CEST 2006

Richard Bromley wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to play multiple audio files on my hard disk as
> one continuous stream, with one initiailzation/uninitialization of the
> audio output driver. The effect would be the same as playing a
> session-at-once audio CD with the multiple tracks corresponding to
> each file.
>
> In essence, if I were to do this:
>
> $ mplayer 1.mp3 2.mp3 3.mp3
>
> then I would want mplayer to play 1.mp3, 2.mp3, and 3.mp3 as if they
> were only one continuous .mp3 file. Is there any way to do this?
> Thanks.

Why is the ao reinitialization a problem? Do the files you're working
with not have silence at the beginning and end?

Anyway, you can work around mplayer's limitation by joining the files
before you play them, probably with sox or maybe just with 'mplayer -ao
pcm'. If this part gives you trouble, ask me again and I'll dig up how
to do it.

As long as your computer is fast enough, you should be able to start
mplayer right after starting sox. Use some -cache value so the disk I/O
doesn't make mplayer hiccup.

-Corey