[MPlayer-users] G3 Wallstreet/466 redux

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Sun Jul 23 04:11:40 CEST 2006

I re-installed openSuSE v10.0 on my Wallstreet.  I then re-compiled all
my codecs and MPlayer, but this time I didn't install and compile YASM.
  Video playback improved, but it still not up to par.  I still get the
"Your system is too slow to play this message!" unless I add -framedrop
to the command line.  The video is closer to being smooth, but not
quite.  I have a B&W(Blue and White) G3 system with a G4/400 in it,
running openSuSE v10.1.  The B&W system has a 100Mhz bus whereas the
Wallstreet is 66Mhz.  They use the same MPC106 chipset.  The B&W also
has a 66Mhz PCI slot with a Rage128 video card.  Video playback was
just fine on it.  I tried swapping in an old RageII card(similar to the
Wallstreet's onboard RageLT) to see if it was the video bottlenecking
the system(doubt it, but....) but the system kept locking up(had that
problem before until I got the Rage128).  I don't have a G3/400 to swap
to test(yet, I am looking since I need one for another system) to see
if the G3/400 would run ok like the G4/400.  I did not install YASM on
the B&W either.

The G3 does not have Altivec(like SSE) like the G4 does.  It does have
1MB of back-side 1/2 speed L2 cache.  However, I have run on a Celeron
400Mhz with smooth playback of XviD and MPEG2 files, so I'm, thinking
there is something missing.  Does anyone know of a good assembly system
for the PowerPC like Nasm(the Netwide Assembler) that works?  I have
seen packages of YASM and Nasm for the ppc, but my experience with YASM
isn't encouraging(I used the newest source) since it worked better
without it.

Also, with the Wallstreet I am limited to the onboard soud device,
"PowerMac Screamer" sound device while the B&W uses the "PowerMac
Burgandy".  Both systems used the snd_powermac kernel module.

I am further limited to openSuSE v10.0 on the Wallstreet because they
broke support for the "OId World" Macs with v10.1, so maybe a newer
version of GCC would help as well.

Thanx