[MPlayer-users] convert DVD to other region

wim delvaux wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com
Wed Jul 19 11:56:58 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 03:40, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

> >> Hmm. This could be going out on a limb, but are you trying this
> >> with a newer DVD released by Sony? Some of those DVDs have a copy
> >> protection mechanism called ARCcOS. If not, did you extract JUST
> >> the movie, and not the menus? If so, your VIDEO_TS folder will
> >> actually have "broken" files that won't fit the DVD spec properly.
> >
> > No I used a windows tool for it dvddecrypter or smarripper or
> > something. Anyway the rip ended with a VIDEO_TS folder on my hard
> > disk and lots of vob and ifo files in it.
>
> Never heard of SmarRipper, but I know of DVDDecrypter. Can't give you
> a lot of help, though. No Windows to test with. However, this doesn't
> rule out ARCcOS encryption being filtered in by Sony. It would help
> if we knew more about this disc. Can MPlayer play the DVD?

It can play the VOB's but when I try to play the VIDEO_TS it claims it cannot
find VIDEO_TS.IFO

the player is a pioneer player

> > I did not ask it to rip ONLY the movies and AFAIK there are small
> > vobs in it that surely are not part of the movie.  Whether the
> > menus are there or not ...  i do not know ... how can I see this ?
>
> Well, your description probably means that is is a 100% disc copy. If
> you could point a DVD playing app to the VIDEO_TS folder, you'll
> probably find out.
>
> >> If you want to rip just the movie, and not the menus, you'll have
> >> to find a way to rip the movie to a single file, and Nero will
> >> have to demux and remux the file. Fortunately, this process CAN be
> >> done with MEncoder.
> >>
> >> mencoder dvd://(inster DVD title number here) -o (output file name
> >> here) -ovc copy -oac copy -of mpeg
> >
> > I want to have a dvd that playes in a regular DVD player so I
> > presume I need  to keep the movie as close to the original as possible
>
> K, so that's not our solution. And we are officially off-topic. This
> is no longer an MPlayer issue.

with the tools I described yes but I only mention them as documentation on
what I tried ... I prefer to get rid of these tools and find linux
equivalents

> [snip]
>
> > I meant making the DVD region free but keeping it as NTSC could
> > that be the
> > inconsistency ?
>
> That's not an inconsitency. I've created a few region-free DVDs using
> NTSC as my standard, both with and without Nero (back when I had a
> PC, that is)
>
> [snip]
>
> > No I asked nero to burn a movie DVD pointing to the VIDEO_TS folder
> > Menus : How can I check if I got menus in my rip ?
>
> See above. My advice is, though, you might be better off trying to
> find another source of information, given that there's no promise
> that anyone around here is going to know too much about the Windows-
> centric tools you're using. There are probably forums on the internet
> that cater better to your needs.

I was using windows centric tools in the hope of getting the job done faster.
I definitively prefer to collect a sequence of linux based tools.  but until
now I have not alternative for anything.  I have ripped some DVD but then
only to convert to divx and until now I have never 'reassembled a DVD'

So ideally this mail should end up in a HOWTO : convert region locked dvd to a
different region dvd.