[MPlayer-users] Matroska chapter support

Steve Dibb steve at wonkabar.org
Sat Jul 15 21:46:10 CEST 2006

Evgeniy Stepanov wrote:
> On Saturday 15 July 2006 09:31, RC wrote:
>
>>Funny.  A few hours after you sent this e-mail, Evgeniy Stepanov sent a
>>"matroska chapter seeking" patch to -dev.
>

> That's not a coincidence :)
> I've just sent a better version. Steve, could you test it a bit ?

Thanks for the patch!

Works good for me, I tested it on about 70 Matroska files with chapters, and the
seeking worked great.  Very fast, too.  Thanks, man. :)

There was only one minor issue with it -- on playback, if your current position
is ahead of the last chapter marker, hitting @ will skip you backwards to the
start of the last chapter.

After playing around with it, there were a few more things I thought of ... one
is that it would be nice if the same events / keyboard controls would seek
chapters for either the DVD or the Matroska file.  (Is there even a keyboard
shortcut for next / prev chapter when playing DVDs?  I couldn't find one)

Also, and this is just a very minor wish list item, would be to display "Chapter
Title" on MPLayer.  On DVD playback, it will say "Chapter 1", etc.  By default
mkvmerge saves ChapterString as "Chapter" plus the chapter #.  Anyway, it's not
something I would probably ever use myself, but just thought I'd bring it up.

Even with all that stuff, it's awesome the way it is and is just what I was
hoping for.  Now where's your wish list? :)

Steve