[MPlayer-users] : a bit too slow playback

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Jul 13 06:19:06 CEST 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:11:28 +0200
Pawel <null7 at wp.pl> wrote:

> My machine has performance problems when playing my movies.
>
> I run my movie in the following fashion:
> mplayer -fs -dr movie.50fps.4m.xvid.avi
>
> I also tried to play it in this way:
> mplayer -fs -gl movie.50fps.4m.xvid.avi
> mplayer -fs -gl2 movie.50fps.4m.xvid.avi
>
> , but both of these solutions are extremely slow (much slower than the
> command above).
>

> Could You suggest me some ways/params to improove speed of playback.

Well, it seems "-nortc" helps significantly on 2.4.x systems.
"-nocache" is noticably faster than any -cache value.
"-lavdopts fast" is a good one as well.

There's really no substitute for trying each video output method
yourself, as it will vary from card to card.  On mine, "-vf
format=bgr16 -vo gl -dr" is fastest on HD material, while "-vo xv" is
slightly better on low-res.  YMMV

And the usual...  Make sure you have DMA and 32-bit support enabled for
your hard drive (hdparm).