[MPlayer-users] "Error reading audio: Input/output error" - mencoder TV recording

Klara Mall klara.mall at gmx.de
Thu Jul 6 10:29:25 CEST 2006

Hi!

At 14:26 07/04/2006, Reimar Doeffinger wrote:
> > I think one has to find the answer here but unfortunately I'm not
> > able to. So it would be really nice if anyone who is more familiar
> > with system calls may have a look at it.
>
> Not much helpful stuff there I'd say except that the read really returns
> EIO.
> This is while reading from /dev/dsp.

Thanks. I had a look again and I see what you mean.

> Can you record from that with some other program?

How can I produce sound in this case? line-out of the TV card is
connected with line-in of the soundcard. So do I have to produce
input by watching TV with another program? That's what I did (I use
tvtime). But I guess even if there's no input it should not result
in I/O errors?

I tried to use rec (sox) but it's exactly the same:
[pid  8769] open("/dev/dsp", O_RDONLY)  = 3
[...]
[pid  8769] read(3, 0x80a97b8, 4096)    = -1 EIO (Input/output error)

> Maybe OSS is not set up properly?

That could be but as I saw alsa does not work, too.

> Try adding "alsa" to the -tv option. "audiorate=48000" is something
> you might want to try, too. Or "adevice=/dev/..." if /dev/dsp is not
> correct.

Writing to /dev/dsp is working, so it must be the right device (for
oss).
I tried the other options you suggested but without success.

arecord (alsa) also results in an input/output error:
$ arecord -D hw:0,0 -r 48000 -t wav test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
arecord: pcm_read:1345: read error: Input/output error

(I've adjusted arecord to be able to increase sampling rate as told
here: http://www.domenech.org/bt878a-adc/alsa-e.htm)

I also found a hint on this site:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=via8233
It's not exactly the same device (I have via8237) but they tell:
When you got error like this "arecord: pcm_ read:1196: read error:
Input/output error" on recording, change in alsamixer controls with
name "Input Source Select" to "Input 1".

But unfortunately my mixer settings are like this and it doesn't
work. But they gave me the idea that it could be that something in
my mixer settings is wrong. I played then around without success.

But I think this is no mplayer/mencoder problem anymore. Thanks for your
help. Perhaps I should ask on alsa-user.

Regards
Klara