[MPlayer-users] please help test my mplayer widescreen converter wrapper script

Daniel Manjarres danmanj2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 20:32:46 CEST 2006

Improvements over last time:

1) The LRU cache is actually LRU now, instead of least recently
cropdetected.

2) The cache doesn't store as much information now, most of it is
recalulated at run time to allow you to change monitor aspect ratio and not
have to re-cropdetect. It is still just as fast.

3) A lot of unnecessary transcoding was removed, so the detection is about
twice as fast for hi-res files, with the same accuracy as before.

4) No longer uses libavcodec

5) Basic dvd support added. There are old dvds from 1996 that need some
help.

So I need some help to make it a little bit faster. To sample the frames I
am using mencoder to grab the video, and mplayer to split it to tga files. I
want to just use mplayer, but mplayer doesn't seek cleanly. When I say "seek
forward 15 seconds" it goes 15 seconds forward to a non-keyframe, and
outputs macroblocks from both before the jump and after the jump until a new
keyframe comes along. mencoder doesn't do this, but doesn't support
outputing directly to tga frames (auurrrrgh). Is there some secret option to
mplayer to make it seek nice and clean like mencoder? If you want to see
what I am talking about run mplayer -fps 1 -sstep 1 filename. Some codecs
produce a completely blue screen for the whole damn playback.

 Thanks.